I had almost got over my addiction to red velvet when I conveniently stumbled upon this recipe for…………………………….wait for it……………….. Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies!!!!!! These things are sinfully delicious. I was like a crack addict going into withdrawals. My mouth started to water, my stomach was growling, and I think my palms even began to sweat. 🙂 So I gave in and what a mistake that was!!!! Now all I can think about is red velvet cupcakes, red velvet whoopie pies, red velvet cookies, red velvet pancakes, I think I even considered red velvet cheeseburgers!!!! Oh well I guess it’s not the worst addiction a person can have.
Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2-oz dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8-oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F. Butter the bottom and sides of a 8 inch metal baking pan. Put a long piece of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan, letting the parchment extend up two sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. (This will make it easy to remove the bars from the pan after they have baked.) Butter the parchment.
- In a small, heatproof bowl, melt butter and chocolate together. Stir until combined and very smooth. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and red food coloring. Add chocolate mixture and stir until smooth. Add flour and salt and stir until just combined and no streaks of dry ingredients remain.
- Pour into prepared pan and spread into an even layer.
- To prepare cheesecake mixture, beat cream cheese, sugar, egg and vanilla extract in a medium bowl until smooth. Distribute the cheesecake mixture in 8 dollops over batter in the pan. Swirl in with a knife or spatula.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until brownies and cheesecake are set. A knife inserted into the cheesecake mixture should come out clean and the edges will be lightly browned.
- Let cool completely in pan on a cooling rack before lifting out the parchment paper to remove the brownies.
Yields: 16 large brownies or 24 small brownies