I’ve always loved stuffed bell peppers, they add an array of colors to your dinner table. They look so elaborate but really they’re just a one-pot meal in a beautiful, vibrant, shell. You can stuff them with just about anything the possibilities are endless. I usually stuff them with whatever I have lying around. Get creative and find what flavor combinations you like best. This is also a great opportunity to experiment with different spices. 🙂
Here is a simple recipe for stuffed bell peppers but like I said you can put anything you want in them and I’m sure they will be delicious!!!
- 4 large green peppers
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 pound Ground Sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 cups marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a large Dutch oven, cook peppers in boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion \over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Drain. Drain orzo; stir into meat mixture. Add the marinara sauce, tomato, basil, rosemary and pepper flakes. Spoon into peppers.
- Place in a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with cheeses. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.